Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Unraveling...

I mentioned in yesterday's post that I had taken up an interest in "reclaiming" or "recycling" yarn from old sweaters. Today, I began that journey for the first time.

I went to my local Goodwill and raided the sweater racks, examining fiber contents and seams before plucking my sacrificial sweaters. I ended up coming home with four. Two 100% cashmere, one 100% merino and one merino/angora rabbit blend. Most of them are teeny, tiny laceweight affairs, but the merino/angora blend is a little heftier, probably closer to fingering.

I started off trying to disassemble the 100% merino because it has a gorgeous colorway and I have a project in mind for it. Bad idea for your first go-round, I think, because it was really, really hard to find the "unzippy bits" for the seams. So I switched, after about an hour's frustration, to the merino/angora. It's also beautiful, and incredibly soft.

In the last two hours, I've managed to break it down into panels and now I'm planning on frogging away on one of the sleeves tomorrow night. I'm super excited to get started on it. I'll hopefully be able to post pics of the panels tomorrow and the WIP as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment