Monday, July 4, 2011

Hot and Steamy

I'm nearing the end of the process of making my recycled yarn reusable. Finally!

Having successfully unraveled my first sweater and wound the harvested yarn into nice neat little hanks, I set about trying to relax the kinks from the yarn being knit up into the original sweater.

I researched a little before choosing my method. The most common method I came across was soaking and weighting, which involves soaking the yarn in hot water for about an hour, then hanging the hanks up to dry while weighted down with something (most often cans of food from the pantry). I didn't particularly want to use this method because 1) it's a soggy mess and 2) from what I've read, it takes a couple days for the yarn to dry. I don't like soggy messes and I have absolutely no patience to wait for the yarn to dry, so this method was definitely out.

The other method I came across was steaming. My first thought was, "What am I gonna steam this with?", but then I read a post in a Ravelry thread that mentioned using a tea kettle. Perfect.

I set to steaming my yarn pretty quickly after that, and have now gotten all but one hank steamed straight, dried and twisted into hanks. Once the sun goes down tonight, I'm gonna steam up the last one so I can cast on the project I've decided on for my precious harvest...

October is for Spinners. This will be my second attempt at what I think of as The Spider. Hopefully this time around, my skills will be up to par.

No comments:

Post a Comment