Monday, July 11, 2011

Second Chance Spider Part 2

Organizing the bag...

From my first attempt to knit October is for Spinners, I learned the hard way that working with 4 balls of yarn at a time can get tricky real quick. The strands tangle around each other and make a tangled mess if you're not careful.

This time, it was my goal to prevent that from happening in order to make the chances of successfully finishing the project just a little better. I set about doing that by organizing my knitting bag very carefully in the process of setting up for the knit.

First, I had my four yarn balls. Each one was, by sheer coincidence, just a bit bigger than the one before it. This led me to assign each ball a number, with 4 being the smallest ball and 1 being the largest. After I had wound each ball, I took little sandwich-sized Ziploc baggies and wrote a number on each one, then put the corresponding ball in the baggie. Then I took each baggie and safety pinned it to the lining of my knitting bag in order. I wasn't sure it would work, but I had to try something to keep my precious harvest from becoming an unusable, tangled mess.

Then I made sure I had all of my needles tucked into the bag. I decided to use circs for this project because I honestly hate most of my straight needles (most of them are way too long for my preferences), so I selected the appropriate sizes and tucked the lot into one of the pockets of my bag. Then I made sure I had all my other little odds and ends tucked into another pocket.

Last but not least, I printed out my pattern and tucked it into the bag alongside my Stitch n' Bitch book, which is like my go-to guide if I run into something I'm not sure how to do.

Did it work?

Oh hell yes.

As of this posting, I'm 133 rows in, past the spider itself and into the lace. The lace is a bit trickier than I had anticipated, but that owes more to my own lack of attention span than to the difficulty of the pattern. I'm hoping I can get about another 30 rows done today. * fingers crossed *

No comments:

Post a Comment